Thursday, November 27, 2008

An Indian Thanksgiving. The REAL Indians.

I wrote my surgeon in Mumbai asking if everyone at Jaslok Hospital was okay. They're right in Mumbai. I also wrote one of my newer readers, Braja, who is funny, from Australia and currently living in a small village in India.

She writes about it today on her blog. She explains how the U.S. is seen from abroad. And around the world. We are NOT a popular country but you already knew that, right? I'M still popular, of course, but you already knew that, right?

While I was there in 2006, there was a terrorist attack at a train station. I was in a temple by my hospital and they ran us through metal detectors. At the time I didn't know why but read about it later on. They deliver 2 newspapers a day to your hospital room, kinda like here, only not.

Click on the label at the end of this post to see all the pictures I took of these lovely and kind people.

I still haven't heard from my doctor. Maybe he's helping the wounded. Braja said they killed Indians as well, which I hadn't heard on our news. I woke up at 4 a.m. thinking of him and all the people in that hospital. The news this morning is now announcing they're still under fire today, which I think is tomorrow there. The International Date Line is clearly for people who can count.

I think we all know where that leaves me.

End of chat.

10 comments:

  1. Suzy, honey, you are not only funny, you're tastefully funny. You're pure funny. With style. A rarity...

    I googled Jaslok hospital and could only find one reference of a victim being taken there to recover after emergency surgery: obviously to keep beds free in the hospital he'd had surgery in. I'd say your doctor and friends are safe, but mighty busy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I never turned on the news yesterday or looked at the newspaper. What a tragedy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I try not to know how other countries view the US, but get reminded of it almost dailey. Traveling abroad now-a-days insures Americans of a barely contained tension just by association. Hopefully this will improve once W is out of office?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Thanksgiving! I am thankful that I haven't commited homicide today!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous3:48 PM

    happy thanksgiving suzy q. :) I'm so stuffed I should be saying 'gobble gobble' instead of hello.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy T-Day, sugar...

    I know we're not much loved, but it doesn't stop me caring deeply about the people I share this pebble with. I keep hoping that we'll find peaceful resolutions to our differences. Sigh. Such prayers as I pray are with the people in Mumbai - hope springs eternal...

    Shade and Sweetwater,
    K

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope you hear soon that everyone is OK

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous8:01 PM

    I feel badly for anyone who is a victim of mindless ideological terrorism. They don't deserve that...nor do we individual Americans deserve the hostility created by the actions of our government and hopefully our imminent change of administration will lessen that.

    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  9. One of the main reasons I never want to have kids is because I don't think the world is going to get better. :o(

    Also, people shouldn't hate me, I'm cute and cuddly. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous7:50 PM

    thnks

    ReplyDelete