Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Welcome To Uploadland Baby

I have resisted buying more digital equipment since I had to beg the guys from Best Buy who brought my HD TV to hook it up for me. They said that wasn’t part of their job. So I had to drag out my Bag of Girl Tricks, which I only use when it’s absolutely necessary, which is pretty much all the time:

-Right-Side Hair Toss
-The Coy Pulling Down At The Hem Of My Tee Shirt
-If I had a boyfriend he could do it for me but we just broke up (sniffles)
-Left-Side Hair Toss.
-And the Fail-Proof, I’m a great tipper, which then they always refuse after they do what I want because I always put on The Sad Just Got Dumped Face.

Sidebar: None of this works with a traffic cop. Unless you’re wearing a bikini in your car and then possibly. Probably. And if you're in Malibu, definitely.

I then had to have the HD people come and hook that system up and I made my downstairs neighbor James come up and listen to the TUTORIAL with me because my head was orbiting Saturn. NOW NO ONE CAN WORK THE SYSTEM BUT ME. And James. Some of the remotes for the DVD/VHS/HD/Couch/Refrigerator have to be programmed twice just to make sure you get a taping in HD, and not in (shudder) regular TV. Recording a show often requires leaving an extra ten minutes in my day for that alone. I just stopped leaving my house after a while.

But then I started a blog. I upgraded to a new scanner but resisted getting a digital camera. Mainly because I never take pictures anymore. I have gillions from over the years and they sit in albums and bitch that I never take them anywhere, like out to meet my friends. But I realized I was going to have to break down and buy a camera so I did. 113 pages in the instruction book. Multiple screens, aspect ratios, scene mode, 7 language choices, burst mode? BURST mode? Thank God it doesn’t have a remote. Does it?

This is the first picture I took, of our building and pool.

Below is a picture that Brian, my upstairs neighbor, an associate producer who works in TV on shows like Buffy, the Vampire Slayer, among others, took of our building and pool. Whatever. End of chat.

10 comments:

  1. Anonymous10:26 AM

    Suzy,
    It's pathetic, but I have trouble even with my cell phone. When something goes wrong, I have to get someone under 20 to fix it. I can't even imagine an HDTV. You are to be congratulated for your courage and candor.
    Martha Jane

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous11:32 AM

    I didn't realize LA County Jail even had a pool-must be only in the women's section. Try putting the camera lens between the bars next time.
    Well, at least you have a room with a view. Sounds like you are making the best of things Suzy, and your line "I just stopped leaving the house" cracked me up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You're lucky I didn't post the other picture I took, of my knees. The stutter shutter is annoying.

    Our building used to have cool 1950's (or is it 60's) bars but then they child-proofed the second floor and made it look like a jail.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous12:25 PM

    You know you've made it when you have a pool :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like both pictures of the pool. Yet another reason to dream of warmer weather. I won't be able to use my pool for at least another 3 months.
    Oh, by the way, I love Buffy, its on my profile, best tv show ever.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Really? Best Buy did that? I'm guessing they are the only store on the planet who hasn't realized that other stores like Circuit Shitty are making a ton of money selling HD installation packages.

    Oh.. and while we are welcoming you to the digital age.. you might as well get a Tivo. It will make your life much easier.

    (opens gate) you may now enter the 21 century.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Only my cable company could set up the HD signal and it's free to set up.

    If you mean setting up the actual HDTV, I knew I could get the delivery guys to do it for me. I've been to this movie before.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! I love your commentary on Brian's fancy photo. You always crack me up.

    I sometimes get annoyed that I started blogging, which necessitates much more technology savvy than I currently have. It's like, "Great. One more thing for the to-do list."

    And years ago, I was pulled over while wearing a bikini top. This was before my sense of decency developed.

    I got a seatbelt fine, but no speeding ticket.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous12:14 PM

    Oh, god. The picture of your building! Man, that looks like an average Saturday night for me back when I was young. And fun. And young. And had a life. Ahh, the good old days... if only I remembered them.

    Welcome to the 21st Century, by the way. I, myself, am finally getting a Tivo this month. AND they're going to install it for me. Free.

    Good to discover another dreamer out here in LA.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous3:41 PM

    Yeah, brian's picture is okay if you like something with creativity and a sense of style. But Suzy's picture gives me the perspective of something completely different. And that's what I love about Suzy.

    dave

    ReplyDelete