Tuesday, July 10, 2012

What Really Happened To Mimi?

By all eyewitness accounts it was a horrible accident. Mimi was putting her gym bag in the back seat of her car. She wasn't on the sidewalk, but in the street, on the driver's side. Whether she saw the car or not, no one is sure. But he slammed into her going about 35 miles per hour and she became airborne. Later, the doctors would say she was dead the moment she landed on her head. But those of us who knew her thought she'd really died long before; this was just the physical death.

They'd divorced 5 years earlier. Unhappy, Mimi became more distraught when her ex-husband remarried. As her unhappiness grew, her son went to live with his father while the daughter stayed with her. Then her ex stopped paying alimony 2 years ago, adding to her anguish. Her own mother told her she was tired of hearing her complain about her problems.

Mimi started telling everyone that she'd be better off dead. And that "they" would pay for it.

As I regularly updated the story on Twitter, Mimi was declared brain dead and her body was MRI'd in preparation for organ donation. Her parents lost a son in a terrible accident years ago, and now a daughter was dying from another tragic accident. Doctors waited to terminate Mimi's life until her parents arrived from Iran. I can't imagine what that conversation was like.

The last time I saw Mimi was at the big surprise birthday party my sister threw for our mom back in December. When she found out about the party she asked Lindy what she could do to help and to give her a list of errands she'd be happy to run for her. She gave mom a lovely crystal bowl.

The point of this post is me harping on something I warn people about all the time. BE CAREFUL OF YOUR WORDS. "Thoughts become things" and "what you think about you bring about" are mantras for me. People who say they have bad luck? Usually do. People who say they get a cold every winter? Get a cold every winter.

Mimi said she'd be better off dead. And as to the second part of her sentence, "they will pay for it" Mimi's ex-husband will now have to take financial care of their two children, both in their 20's, for the rest of their lives. We don't know for sure but there will probably be a massive lawsuit against the man who hit her. And what was his profession?

Doctor.

11 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry about Mimi. I truly believe that your words have a huge impact in what happens in your life, too. Sending love to all who knew Mimi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Mimi's ex-husband will now have to take financial care of their two children, both in their 20's, for the rest of their lives."

    What? Why?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a co-worker that constantly said "Bad things ALWAYS happen to ME!!!" She was right. Bad things happened to her on a regular basis, including her killing someone in a car accident.

    I used to tell her to turn that around and start saying positive things out loud.

    I'm sorry for all that you and her family are going through.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My condolences to Mimi's family and friends.

    Love,
    Janie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so sorry. I agree with you, thoughts become things. So incredibly sad.

    ReplyDelete
  6. -->Good advice.

    I actually tell people all the time I'm rather a lucky person and bad things don't happen to me. The concealed weapon might help with this factor too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Tragic. All around.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's heartbreaking, but you're right I think. You get what you focus on most.

    Hmmm, that is quite obviously true for me as well. Well, that little illumination sucked!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hugs to you on the lose of your friend hun. How tragic.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, I can't say more than has already been said. My mother is always saying about my brother, "He has the worst luck!" I want to shake her! So sorry about Mimi. This is awful...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I agree with you about being careful about what you say. I think people should be careful with what they think too and try and let the negative thoughts out as quickly as they get in.

    Sorry about your friend. Sounds like she was depressed for a while.

    ReplyDelete