Tuesday, December 20, 2011

The Couch I Wish I Owned

This is a custom made reproduction 1950's era couch. It's sitting in the lounging area of the Nordstrom's women's department at the Glendale Galleria. If I could have stuffed it into my purse I would've made off with it. Because I believe in stealing beauty. Which is why I have Angelina Jolie locked in my bathroom.



I like old stuff. It reminds me of people I've never met and a time I've never known and how interesting it all must have been.

These original theater seats, for example. I bought them at the Pasadena Flea Market in 2002 for $300. Underneath one of them is a wire rack that was made expressly for gentlemen to stow their brimmed hats when they went to the movies. So they wouldn't block the view of the people sitting in back of them. Because apparently people were more polite back then. And probably didn't annoy others by talking on their cell phones even though they didn't exist. The cell phones, not the people.

I spent years searching for a 1950's era TV. There was a thrift shop in LA that sold them but every time I went in to ask for one, the man who owned the place laughed and said they spent about 6 seconds in the shop before they were sold. He put me on a waiting list. 16 years ago. He still hasn't called me.

My dad lived in St. Petersburg, Florida and died in 2001. I spent a lot of time there trying to get his estate in order (it eventually took me 3 years) (fuck). On one trip I found this beauty for $75.00. I was shocked because the price for a 1950's era TV starts at $500. Starts.



By the time I got back to the shop with my Dad's car, the owner had returned and was FURIOUS that his sales guy, a kid about 19 years old, had let the TV go for so little. I played dumb when the owner asked me if I was aware of how much these televisions normally went for. Fortunately for me I'm very good at playing dumb. I'm not only blonde but I have a Bachelor's Degree in Theater. This might have been the only time it came in handy. Sorry Mom and Dad.

I can't tell you how many times I patted myself on the back for scoring a $500 TV for $75.

I'd get up in the morning, look in the mirror and say, "Good morning, genius." And also, "Good morning Angelina, breakfast will be right out."

To crate and ship the TV across country cost me $500.

15 comments:

  1. Crazy blonde, you know Angelina doesn't eat!

    I like that couch. Does it come in blue? If you see it on blue, steal it for me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love old stuff too. I bought a vintage suitcase in a local thrift store and the woman behind the counter asked me some question, like was I buying it for a display. I said, "No, I just like old things.". Then the man behind the counter said, "I'm old. Take me!". True story.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That couch is making my butt whine with lust.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Man.

    THAT was a good read.

    I heard nothing else around me during that one.

    I could spend hours in antique/thrift/consignment stores.

    That would be my hobby, if I ever have the time.

    ANd you're right... people did have manners once upon a time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous10:53 AM

    Yes, people must have been more polite in the past. Now all theatres, movie and otherwise, should come with muzzles and phone jamming technology.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I spend much of my time while watching Mad Men squinting in slack-jawed awe at the colors, the furniture, the dresses, and the reproduction foundation garments that carved and squeezed the female form into something ballistic in severity. Some completely illogical part of my brain celebrates the era of weekly hairdo-respindling, cigarette cases, and the fact that you could drink in the middle of the afternoon off a mirrored tray in your OFFICE.

    ReplyDelete
  7. amyblam.com Muzzles in the Movies! Where do we sign up to get that law passed?

    Sheildmaiden, Mad men doesn't even BEGIN to get most of the (cool) 50's era stuff right. Mainly because on TV all colors have to match what actors are wearing in each scene. It's very annoying. In real life the 50's were so colorful and off kilter.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that couch. I love this post. Hi Angelina!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Shit. Then who the hell is that in MY bathroom?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Angelina eats when she's at my house.

    Love,
    Lola

    ReplyDelete
  11. And I forgot to say I don't have to play dumb. It comes natural to me.

    Love,
    Lola

    ReplyDelete
  12. Um, why would you keep her in the bathroom? I wouldn't want her to see me step out of the shower. Very intimidating.
    It's best to keep her in the basement.

    Love the tv. Love the story more.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Maybe if you tell Nordstrom you want the couch? They're very into pleasing the customer!

    ReplyDelete
  14. seems 'crime' DOES pay... but not for you :O lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous5:01 AM

    Awesome... everytime I find a deal, it tears up in 2 days. Props!

    ReplyDelete